QRL&PCo Boxcars
You're right, and there are also a couple of other styles of Andrews trucks available, including, I think, a Dalman Two-Level version. I have quite a few of the Kadee ones - their main drawback, in my opinion, is the scawny-looking spring package, as most prototype trucks used at least five springs in each sideframe. The "sprung" feature doesn't do much unless your cars are very heavy (8 to 10 oz. on the ones I tried Misngth ). I've seen suggestions about cementing styrene view blocks on the rear face of the sideframes, but many of mine are under cabooses. For these, I removed the Kadee coil springs and installed bronze leaf springs from PSC. The Kadee springs were then re-installed to help hold the leaf springs in place.

[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd325.jpg]

The Kadee sideframes are very nicely rendered, while the plastic ones from Accurail are, in my opinion, as well-done as any plastic truck on the market. As for adding metal wheels, I seldom bother - they don't roll any better and they're an awful lot more noisy. Misngth Kadee wheels, especially the casting info on their faces and the backs of the ribbed ones (appropriate up to about the mid-'50s) are very nice, but the wheel treads need to be polished to remove the blackening agent.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread