QRL&PCo Boxcars
Most of my layout is on curves and grades, and usually in the same places. While some of my newer cars have metal wheels, I see no reason to change out wheelsets if the plastic ones create no problems. Most of my trains are only 10 or 12 cars in length, but I've run ones in excess of 70 cars with no string-lining. If trackwork and rolling stock is in good condition, the main cause of stringlining is, I think, disparate car weights within the train, especially where light cars are near the front and heavy ones at the rear. Non-free-rolling cars at the wrong place in the train can certainly acerbate that. Most plastic trucks have metal axles, regardless of the wheel material, and if the axle/truck interface is of the correct geometry, the truck will be free-rolling. Kadee trucks have plastic axles, incidentally.
I do find metal wheels to be much noisier, reminding me of the old cast metal trucks with brass wheels on steel axles (although many of them wouldn't roll down a 3% grade, even with a push - I have some under some baggage cars). I also see too many of them left unpainted, like some sort of status symbol - look at me, I'm metal! For me, it makes our overly-wide wheel treads all the more obvious, even with the backs and faces painted. If you're operating in the old solid-bearing era, the wheel faces need to be black and dirty, while cars equipped with roller bearings usually have rust-coloured wheel faces, again somewhat dirty. The backs of both types should be rusted and dirty, and that includes the axles.
If you're using scale-width metal wheels, then the change to metal would be worthwhile if you can afford it.
If you have plastic trucks that aren't free-rolling, regardless of the wheel type, a truck tuner can often improve the situation. Train Miniature cars (including Walthers versions) with sprung trucks were notorious in this department).

I've heard the plastic wheels/dirty track arguement before, but I don't buy it. I cleaned my tracked after ballasting or after applying groundcover nearby, but otherwise don't. The trains run without hesitation and I never clean loco wheels either. I do, very occasionally, vacuum the track and structures. The only wheels that I've ever needed to clean were Kadee wheels on cabooses - they probably get more track time than the average car and may be why the track doesn't require cleaning. If I had to clean track on a regular basis, I would be out of the hobby. Wink Misngth

Wayne

Messages In This Thread