3/8" ply under 1/2" foamboard; is this ok?
I underestimated the warpage of the plywood. One piece was so bad I had to use a 'stiffener' (1x2" piece) to flatten it out. I wanted something thin, but I never thought this would be a problem since I used this on a much smaller layout 15 years ago. I beleive it was a combination of leaving the wood out in the garage too long (buying it at the time I bought the wood for the room itself) and the cheap flat paint I used as a sealer (with an apparent high water content).

The piece in question would be what is missing in that 1st attachment on the left side of the photo. It had a real nasty 'bow' to it. So bad, even after days of trying to bend it back in place with numerous gallon cans of paint on top of the piece, it still didn't flatten out. :evil:

Without going too far OT, I don't understand the popularity of 2" and thicker foamboard when it comes to layouts with different heights for the track plan (as in a 2nd level overpass). My example (again using that 1st attachment), how in the world could it be done w/o using cookie cutter construction w/ risers??

Messages In This Thread