I'm beginning to like this place.
Hi Scifi fan;

Welcome to Big Blue.
Here are some of my thoughts following reading this thread to date. You are never to old to start a new hobby like Model Railroading even if you are considering creating a space based railroad. I remember reading an issue of Model Railroader at school in the early '80's and they had a fantasy article about what a railroad on the Moon would look like. The possibilities are amazing because it is all future based so you can set the scene on the Moon, or on Mars, or on an asteroid and the time scale can be 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, 150, 250, 500, or 1000 years into the future, so who can pull you up on an incorrect rivet count? Nobody. That link to the late Carl Ardent's website is well worth the time to explore.
Dont worry that "you dont have the skills", they can all be learnt, just like you learnt to walk, talk, read, write, drive a car and to become a lawyer.
Start small, make mistakes and learn as you go. Learn from others as we all do.
Example; one member was building a detailed model of a vehicle underpass and as I was enjoying following his thread it struck me that something wasnt right with his detailing of the structural steel supporting the bridge beams. My knowledge of building told me something wasnt right so we checked the photos and it turned out that due to the poor lighting under the bridge he didnt note the full size of the support beam. Because I spoke up [politely] it saved him from ruining his model and making a perfect target for a rivet counter.
Not that I am perfect by any means. I look at some of the modelling here and on Carl's site and it leaves me amazed.
I and several others no doubt are looking forward to seeing what a railroad in space could look like.
The possibilities are endless. Like space.
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More

Messages In This Thread