Layout (room) tour, with lots of photos...
I used pre-mixed drywall compound, applying it using a rag over my finger tips. It dries quickly if not applied too heavily - mine was a little heavy because of the need to work it in around the raised details.
Once it has dried, I used a dry rag to rub it off - this causes some dust, and I usually do this work outdoors, but with temperatures at or below freezing, I worked in the basement, over newspaper. Even the areas of thick application will rub off, although in some places, it was faster to use a chisel-type blade in my X-Acto to remove the worst of it. Because the brickwork was painted (Floquil Reefer Orange), sanding wasn't an option. Any areas where too-vigorous rubbing removes the mortar from between the bricks can easily be touched-up, too.
The mortar will withstand washes of diluted water-based paints, and I'm hoping that it will also withstand washes of India ink diluted with alcohol, too.

I used the same technique on the auction building of the Lowbanks stockyards, a modified Revell kit, formerly their Daily Herald building (and prior to that, Superior Bakery and an enginehouse, too). Paint is also Floquil's Reefer Orange:

[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd267.jpg]

[Image: CopyofFoe-toesfromfirstcd267.jpg]

The large curtain wall factory and the background structure made from leftover pieces of it will eventually get a similar treatment, but for those, the concrete portions need to be painted first. For that, all of the brickwork will be masked.

EDIT: Here's a link to some Tuckett Tobacco photos, one of which shows the original factory. The model isn't a copy, but when I saw the Walthers kit for Greatland Sugar, Tuckett's sprang immediately to mind.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread