How to Learn "Railroad Speak"?
Gary:One of my problems is that I lose sight of my role because I am too busy enjoying myself watching everyone else having fun running the trains. Then I forget to warn the crews of an incoming through train. Still, the crews have done a good job of coordinating on there on, and even though it may not be prototypical, it may be part of the fun the crews. We'll see how things go tomorrow.
-----------------------
That's the main thing is to have fun.

I forgot to mention my example is more for model operations then following the prototype to the letter and one we used on operation days of a club I was a member of years ago.Our train symbols was based on CRs.

We decided not to do written track warrants since it would be more simple to simulate repeating a track warrant-like my example.We did use a train symbol form that the Trainmaster of both yards would issue-the original went to the dispatcher and the engineer kept the carbon copy and would turn this in to the receiving yard Trainmaster.Having a Trainmaster freed the yardmaster to do his work since every inbound train had to be switched and locomotives serviced-there was a runner track to the engine terminal that was controlled by the engine terminal operator and the yardmaster.
The layout was and remains DC controlled..

Examples:

CITO (Cincinnati-Toledo)
Engine UP 5677
Engineer Gary.

If the train came from stagging and went to stagging it would be:

SLDI (St.Louis-Detroit)

Engine CR 3200

Engineer Ed.

The system was simple and easy to master.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!

Messages In This Thread