Southern California Locals Book
I've had a chance now to look it over, and it's as Reinhard says, basic railfan data on locations, times, photo opportunities (or not), access, etc -- but also, it's a very good source for additional modeling info. For example, if you want to operate halfway seriously, everything on your layout -- locations, tracks, industries, etc -- needs to be named, if only to tell yourself or others where to put things! Each train is a specfic job, with a name, a symbol, or a number. The book gives a great many examples of this. Also, each train has a specific set of tasks -- buiids train at X and switches industries as far as Y, or takes empties to A and returns to B with loads. Days of the week and times are often indicated as well. What's done with the power is also often indicated -- "power is left on main line behind Smith Warehouse".

If you do those things, you're a good way toward being able to implement some sort of operating scheme with car cards and waybills, or with a computer switchlist generator.

I'd have a ball looking at what a guy like Reinhard could come up with making those sorts of explanations for what he's showing on his layout! But also, when I was young and in graduate school with free time, I found very similar publications that explained where to find steam locos operating in Germany in the early 1970s. It got me so interested that I went over there (it didn't hurt that I had to polish my German for grad school anyhow). I need to scan those photos. . .

Messages In This Thread