Hedley Junction
It's done... I finally completed my more or less prototypical CN woodchip gondola today.

The weathering was a little bit experimental since I didn't have any oil paint at home at the moment. I decided to try Mike Confalone recipe by fading the paint with pastel. I used regular pastel, so the result is quite subtle. But that's OK because these gondolas were relatively in good shape back in the late 80s. Only by the mid-90s did they start to turn into rust buckets.

Several other shade of pastel were also used to give depth to both car ends: gray, tan and black. To be noted, to make sure the ribs would stand out, I took the pastel stick and directly rub it against them. It was quite garish, but once covered with the final dull finish, it would blend correctly I guess... And I was right.

I didn't want to use Dullcote on the model. I put several coat on it yesterday and it never really killed the shine on the model. So I decided to use Swanny's trick with Future. To get a very flat finish, you mix 3 part of Future and 1 part of Tamiya Flat Base. To be honest, the result is excellent. Not only the model got a very flat finish but it also slightly made the color to fade a little bit, which was the result I was looking for.

Unfortunately, I learned quickly that alcohol react nastily with the flat finish by whitening the finish. And unlike Dullcote, you can't make it disappear with a second coat of finish. So I had a lot of fun trying to hide my mistake. Lesson learned!

And now, the big question. Will I build 10 other cars? Icon_lol I don't know...

[Image: IMG_0535b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0537b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0540b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0542b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0536b.jpg]

And some progress on the layout:

Some asphalt freshly applied at Donohue:

[Image: IMG_0512b.jpg]

New ditches and a shopping center parking lot (final dimension TBD):

[Image: IMG_0525b.jpg]

And some new signs here and there:

[Image: IMG_0514b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0516b.jpg]

And a general view of Clermont "yard":

[Image: IMG_0520b.jpg]

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread