Hedley Junction
jwb Wrote:
sailormatlac Wrote:Other question: the water tank. I never saw a picture of it nor a map showing it. However, it should have existed because this place was the interchange between electric traction and steam traction. I lack space and it's a tiny place. Could a stand pipe with a pumphouse be used to water engine in such a rural location or should I go with a water tower? Other question, should I locate it on the siding or on the main line? I'm at lost!
Even in rural areas, a standpipe could be fed by a remote cistern or tank(s), so the standpipe by itself is OK. The pumphouse is a separate question -- the pump is always going to feed the tank or cistern, not the standpipe, which is gravity fed, so if there's a pump, it could also be off scene.

It all makes sense. I found out this morning few insurance maps of the area recently put online by the National Archives and found out few water tanks were not aligned with the tracks.

@Faraway: Thanks for your comment! It's been years since I seriously did scenery work. Even if you model modern era, your work influences me a little bit! I will keep the water tank / standpipe there after thinking about what you said. The train pictured is west bound to the city terminal. In fact, this station is the end of steam traction. The engine will be refilled for the eastbound run after being at a nearby wye.

QUESTION: I read a lot this morning about milk train and mixed train but most articles don't talked about returning empty milk cans. I mean, if you stop your mixed freight with the passenger coach in front of the station, it doesn't align with the milk platform on the returning trip. Did they just tossed empty cans at slow speed? I'm really curious about that.

Also, it is depicted on the layout, but a creamery (it still exist) was located about them miles from their. I suspect they used the combination car to move this freight on the line (never saw any mention of reefer or insulated cars on QRL&P).

[Image: Juin1947-FranoisGravel-c.png]

On this picture, at left, you can see a part of a flagstop platform. What looks like a wood bench was in fact a raised step to board the train.

At this point, I could just build a long raised wooden platorm about 90 ft long to handle a LCL boxcar and a combination. Add an open shed for the flagstop and put the stand pipe at the east end... As a good friend of mine always says KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). Honestly, when I watch old rural trackside pictures, there's almost nothing, just a shed and a wooden walkway...

This one is a large flagstop at Beauport... no platform at all.

[Image: CN000624-BeauportStation-1959.jpg]

Typical raised wooden platform on QL&P.
[Image: 1195.jpg]

Maybe I'm trying to hard to pinpoint evything!!! Isn't it funny how very simple aspect of life such as a rural flagstop can be puzzling when you never lived in this era... Archeologists have even less material to work with! We are just talking about the 50's, an era that many here lived!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread