Walther's New Steel Industry ~~ **Future Plans**
Like Val (Spitfire) i plan on doing a steel mill somewhere in the future. Val has a space of 2'x12' for her steel mill from Walthers. She even pre-ordered all the buildings, your one lucky girl Val Misngth

My plans would strictly be a Steel Mill Layout, much like a switching layout, only kind-off compressed all together but just enough to tell the story of how steel is made.

My plans are as follows (this is the layout i have been thinking about for the past 3 nights as i lay in bed trying to fall asleep lol)

Large mine with open mine pit on one side of the room with lots of conveyors and a coal flood loader or 2 to help load up coal trains. Trains would travel down the line a bit to the ore dock, which would consist of 3-4 ore dock kits kitbashed into one double sided ore dock. I would need kits to make it double sided, 2 kits to make it double sided and 1-2 more kits to extend the double sided ore dock. Barges would be loaded by the ore dock and then travel down the layout to the steel mill where they would be unloaded by the Hulett Ore Unloader and Empire Gas Works Bridge Cranes. To separate the ore dock scene scene where the barges would be unloaded, there would be a scenic divider to help with the "further down the line" process of how steel is made.

The coal and iron ore would then be loaded into more coal hoppers, some would go to the Coke Oven & Quencher, some to the Tr-State Power Plant, and some directly to the Blast Furnace. Cars arriving at the Power Plant would be used to power the whole Steel Mill Complex. High Tension Towers would be used to feed the power to the various Steel Mill Buildings (Blast Furnaces/Blower Engine House, Rolling Mill, Coke Ovens, Coke Retorts, Gas Works.....). Coal arriving at the Coke Oven and Quencher would be turned into Coke and then hauled in Coke Cars to the Blast Furnace. The Gas that is produced from the Coke Process would be modeled with the Empire Gas Works Coke Retort, Gas Plant, and Gas Storage Tanks, which would all be located near and around the Coke Oven & Quencher. The Gas would be stored and shipped out via Tank Cars

Once the Coke arrived at the Blast Furnace/Blowe Engine House, it would go through its process, mixing several other materials with the coke, turning into molten steel and being transported via Hot Metal Bottle Cars to the Rolling Mill where it would be poured, rolled, pounded..... into steel products and shipped out on Flatcars, Coil Cars, Boxcars..... The Slag from the Blast Furnace would be taken to an area just outside the Blast Furnace to a large pit where the slag would be dumped to cool.

I do not have any space for a Steel Mill of this size at the time, but i am keeping my fingers crossed for space in the future, of coarse alongside my Modesto & Empire Traction Modules Misngth Im assuming it would take a space of about 10x20' to have a good model of around the room layout for the Steel Mill using the Structures from Walthers that they are coming out with and re-releasing. Even though i know that i will not be able to model this industry for quite some time, i still will want and need to buy all the Walthers re-runs and new kits for the future lol

This is what i would like to get:

I have not added up the totals for this yet, and quite frankly im scared to lol, but im assuming its somewhere around $2000-$2500, a VERY expensive series of Steel Mill buildings lol

If i get bored enough (which i know i will lol), i will start a trackplan for this layout in the size room of 20x10 feet to see how that works. But then again, there are no guarantees that i will get a room of that size and this may be something WAY down the line in my life lol, but at least i will have the buildings and plan to start with when that time comes Misngth

What do you guys think? With a show of hands how many think i am CRAZY and out of my mind?
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread