Walther's New Steel Industry ~~ **Future Plans**
Here is the plan i stared up in EE

[Image: 7bbf64f7.jpg]

This is the top level. Grid Spacing is 6". Minimum radius is 22". Central Valley #8 Turnouts.

Starting from the left side of the drawling we have the Tri-State Power Authority, a Substation, and a High Voltage Transmission Tower. More Towers will be added when more buildings are added in. Power Authority will have coal service on the right side of the building.

Next is the Rolling Mill which is double long using 2 kits bashed together making it 64" long x 11" wide x 10" tall. The rolling mill is not in its final spot yet, i just drew it up and placed it in the general area it will go.

Next is the BOF or Basic Oxygen Furnace. This building is 56" long x 14" wide x 22" tall and will be completely scratch built. A total of 3 tracks will travel through the entire building and emerge out on the left side of the building. On the left side of the building will also be a few truck docks. Along the whole front of the building will be a series of doors of various sizes for rail docks and lots and lots of piping detail. Tracks need to be finished running in front of the building and through it

Next we have the kitbashed Blast Furnace (2 kits) and the Blower Engine House along the right side of the layout. The long skinny thing is the Coal Dump Tracks that are raised up. The start the incline at the beginning of the second turnout coming off the mainline. 2 Tracks emerge out of the end of the Blast Furnace at the top for the Cast House which is double long. The track along the back of the BF is the track that will have tank cars to transport the gas that is produced in the BF and also serves the track where Slag Cars will be loaded from the cast house. the total length of the BF and Blower Engine House is 70" x 14" wide x 21-1/2" tall

Next is the Coke Oven and Quencher which has been kitbashed to make a double long oven. It measures 42" long x 19" wide x 14" tall. Bottom track is the coke track where the Quencher Cars will go into the cooler tower to be cooled after being backed in the ovens, then they will be transported to the BF on the raised coal dump tracks in Coke cars. I am thinking of modeling a building where the Quencher Cars would go into where the Coke would be transferred into the Coke cars, this has get to be put in place and would have to be scratch built. The Top track represents the track where a coal train would pull into to be unloaded for its transformation into Coke. Both tracks need to be finished and connected back to the mainline

I had originally wanted to model the Coke Retort, Gas Plant, and Gas Storage Tanks near the Coke Oven, but due to lack of room, i think they might have to be left out, and maybe only one of them could fit, i havent decided yet, well see how it works out in the end lol.

Still to be added is the Open Hearth Furnace which will be located up behind the Rolling Mill offset a bit. This will be a backround building and serve as a backdrop, it will be very large and long, but skinny. I was thinking of 2" wide x 70" long x 22" tall, so it would be towering over the Rolling Mill. This would also be a scratch built building....

More progress to come as i do it lol, should see some more tomorrow somtime

In the meantime, what do you guys think? I know besides i am crazy. Does this sound like a do-able layout operation wise? Basically i am trying to replicate the Steel Making Process from Coal and Iron Ore to Steel in its various processes and buildings it travels through before it becomes steel lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread