Building an Airbrushing Booth.
It's funny how you get to a place in life where you can't remember what you had for dinner two nights ago, but you can remenber the correct year for an article on building a proper metal, inflammable spray booth for air brush work in Model Railroader! All I had to do was pull out that year and sure enough, right there in the January, 1988 issue is the article that I used to build my spray booth. (I unfortunately no longer have it, as when a new job presented itself after a time of unemployment, I went on ahead to find a place to live and start my new job and my [then] wife and very small daughter packed everything up and got the house ready for sale. The Spraybooth did not make the trip ["... more of Bil's goofy homemade junk"] and neither did a 9" carbon steel Sabatier french chef's knife [that I loved] that she always required a trip to the hosptal and stitches if she looked at it cross-eyed! Bummer! But i digress ...)

It was not difficult to build - I built it in an unheated detached garage in mid-winter, in Pennsylvania, all bundled up. It worked beautifully! I ran duct up and out through a three-pane basement window that I had replaced the glass of one pane with a piece of aluminum flashing, on the outside, epoxied to a piece of 1/16" aircraft plywood (from the R/C airplane section of the LHS) with the proper hole cut in both.

If you can't find the January, 1988 issue of Model Railroader, page 128, just e-mail me your address and I'll snail mail you a hard copy. Paint fumes are not to be messed with! There is evidence that over time, exposure to solvent-based paint fumes are extremely toxic and can have an adverse effect on one's nervous system. So ... that said ... look it up or email me ...

Oh, the dimensions are 24"w x18"d x18"h ... but you guys are all smart enough to enlarge it, just do the math (formula included) to get the fan cfm rating correct for the size of the booth.

biL
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread