ATTENTION NEWBEES AND REBUILDERS
Interesting Thread! I'm only 33 but threw out my back this past weekend (muscle spasm picking up a 6 month old one too many times too often). In my profession I deal with guilt and grief and planning for the future, as in the afterlife kindof future. Makes a body think...

In the past few years I have been pleased to receive magazines, kits, track, etc. from aging modelers at a point in their lives where they are ready to pass things on. This has had me thinking about what I'll do with my railroad stuff down the road (hopefully FAR down the road). Should I die suddenly would my spouse or family or friends know what to do with them? Are they insured or included in a will?

What if my boys don't want them? Confusedhock: I know, that last one sounds like crazy talk to me too, but I have 'inherited' trains from folks whose kids and even grandkids don't want to bother with grandpa's trains. Sad but true.

I think part of the solution is to build a good network of younger, railroad-minded friends who will be willing and able to treasure your treasures as you now treasure them or pass them on to others who will. My advice to folks who worry about what will happen to their stuff when they age is to give it away now, while they can enjoy the pleasure of sharing it with others, instead of later when they can't for whatever reason (death, disability, etc.).

You never see a U-haul behind a hearse. :!:

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread