Industries in Maine
I don't know how Potatoes were shipped from Aroostook County, but the Long Island Railroad shipped Potatoes in Refrigerator cars, no ice, with the ice hatches open for ventilation.
Potato barns on the east end had earthworks on three sides piled up to the eves, to keep the barns cool.
I would suspect something similar was probably the case, but , I could see where Aroostook County might have been cool enough already, being so far North, and the better part of it being inland a bit.
Often thought of modeling a paper mill , but it would have to exist without the "sweet smell " that comes with it.
Our house in Lisbon Center, wasn't all that far enough away from the Androscoggin River, so we were often treated to the "eau de Paper Mill ". When the wind was in the right direction we'd lose that,... and then have the scent of "chicken Barns" to "enjoy". Icon_lol Icon_lol
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread