Intermountain Grain Hooper
This is my second attempt at weathering a model & wanted to try & a use this image as a rough template to work from. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hiddenimages.ca/railroad/freightcars/images/500/skpx.gif">http://www.hiddenimages.ca/railroad/fre ... 0/skpx.gif</a><!-- m -->

Firstly it was a case of thinking up a way of getting the black rust streaks down the body. I started by masking off the body of the hooper using masking tape & leaving just some small strips on the body visible for the paint to get in.

[Image: DSC_0840.jpg]

Then came the blast of spray. I use Railmatch paints by Howes of London which do a range of railway colours to suit british outline models. For this i used dirty black from there weathering range. There paints are in my opinion brilliant & easy to use.

[Image: DSC_0841.jpg]

Once i had blasted the sides with the weathered black paint i removed the tape to reveal the black streaks which line up with the walkway brackets.

[Image: DSC_0842.jpg]

The bodywork & the streaks are far to in your face at this point so i thought i would give this a shot. At this point this was make or break time for me & the chances of destroying a very good model. I blasted the sides with dark rust paint in a very mist. The plan was to tone down all the colours of the bodywork 7 the streaks & hopefully make the whole job look more natural.

[Image: DSC_0844.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0843.jpg]

I Think that the finished product looks fantastic & i'm really impressed with the outcome. To just try & give the body extra tone & depth i finely blasted down the sides where the streaks were using the dirty black paint & give the streaks a bit more dirt. once this had dried i sealed it with dullcote.

[Image: DSC_0847.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0846.jpg]

Hopefully its captured the rough look of the photo, i'm impressed with the outcome anyway & best of all it only took a couple of hours.

Si

Messages In This Thread