Heavy Electric Modular Group
Somewhat disappointingly, I was not able to get the Catenary on my module.

All the catenary spans were complete, but time and transportation issues came up. It occurred to me, that even with a large van, I'd need people to help me load the module.

I have not yet built a "box" for it, and even without that weight, it would be hard to load by myself without damaging it. For this reason I decided against finishing it. Right now, my target is to get this module complete for the NMRA regional convention in October, and the NJ Layout Design/RPM that is sometime afterwards.

I'm thinking about remaking the cross spans in Phosphor Bronze, as the steel spans did not hold up well. That said, many of the East Penn Traction Convention Attendees insisted that greater heat would do the trick. They independently confirmed my own thoughts that I should probably invest in a resistance soldering set, but they may be out of my price range at this moment.

On the other hand, if I'm going to continue down this electrified road, it may be worth my money.

I will attempt to post some pictures soon. At least now I can take things easy, though I'm going to try to make the effort to work on the module more frequently so that I don't get caught in a bind like this time. I had a fair excuse in that my module was left with a friend for a year, but now that it is back, I've gotta stick with it.

My friend who constructed this module seems interested in building me another one to get the layout growing. Two 5' modules will be a transportation nightmare for me, and after this I think I'll go to 4' modules. Whenever my income improves, I think I better buy an SUV or something with a lot of space in the back!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread