Dirty Dirt
A couple weeks ago I took some grab shots of a local in Southern California (the "Paramount") that includes trash flats loaded with what are conventionally called municipal solid waste containers. Matt Snell had an article in a recent RMC about modeling these as they apply to municipal solid waste in New Jersey. However, I discovered based on a West Coast Rail Forums post that the containers out here are used for "dirty dirt" (i.e., contaminated dirt), not trash.

I believe the Snell RMC series had dimensions and instructions for scratching the low blue style of container. It also had instructions for converting the 20-foot ISO style for waste, too. The flat car is just the Atlas Trainman trash flat prototype, which is interesting too, because Snell talks about converting piggyback flats, which are 70-ton, while the purpose-built trash flats like the Atlas are 100-ton and better for the heavier dirt.

TC Smith on the West Coast Rail Forums pointed me to the loading facility in Paramount, CA at 7722 Jackson St so you can find that on Google. Reinhard and others interested in an industry that doesn't take much space, here's one for you!

Messages In This Thread