Vigdis' train room
Svein Wrote:...
We've also built the swing gate crossing the entrance to the room. Here there will be a curved trestle crossing a gorge, hence the "Y"-shaped construction:
[Image: 2891_w1200.jpg]
That looks good and the lock on the other side is a clever solution. But to be frankly I do not trust the Y shape. there is very little wood that has to sustain changing temperature and changing humidity. 1mm is a lot of gap in the rails and it will become easy 2mm and more when the weather changes. If you want to go with that rather fragile construction I suggest to do it with none wood. Steal or even better aluminum might be better in that position.
I have a solid hatch (15mm quality plywood) covering my door with simple hinges at one side. I do "feel" daily when closing and opening how it becomes longer and shorter.
[Image: file-8.jpg]

However, may be you do a temporary track very soon without any scenery over the gate and live with it for some month (this winter, spring and a hopeful hot summer 2013). That way you can change the construction easy if my pessimistic outlook becomes true.
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread