Cereal plant in Cleveland
Mike Kieran Wrote:Chris, the overhead is for the Cleveland RTA's Red Line (just north of the 25th Street - Ohio City station). The line was supposed to be a railroad approach for the Cleveland Union Station. Close though as the line was part of the Cleveland Interurban Railroad.

Aha! Now that you mention it, that makes a lot of sense. After all, the New York Central P-motors first operated on the Cleveland Union Terminal, an NYC subsidiary. At that time, they ran off of pantographs insteat of third rails. By the time diesels came around, it was determined that diesel smoke was acceptable, and so the P-motors were shipped off to New York City.

I should have guessed!

I've always wanted an NYC lightning stripe P-motor, just for fun. The P-motors are technically the true forerunners of the GG1. Though the New Haven EP3 is often credited with being the inspiration for the 4-6-6-4 wheel arrangment of the GG1, both of them are a result of the P-motor. I'm pretty sure they were built 1929, were converted to third rail in 1951, and retired by 1973.

When they were running, they pulled all the fancy New York Central passenger trains into the city.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread