California Northern layout in HO
Looking back at your plan and the background description, a couple of things occur to me. The part you call a "classification yard" in the lower left actually corresponds to the interchange yard now at American Canyon, earlier at Schellville. Schellville was the traditional place where the SP stopped and the Northwestern Pacific began, although after about 1960, trains just ran through there and had a final destination of Roseville. My thinking would be to conflate the yards at American Canyon and Schellville and call the yard Schellville, which even now is a more interesting place, with a station and lots of eucalyptus trees. I would treat the classification tracks as visible staging. The revived NWP keeps its locos there, but that is recent and was not done by the SP/NWP.

At minimum, it's good to give everything a name. So call the classification/staging "Schellville". Actually, lots of tracks have names on the prototype, too, or at least numbers. Here are a couple photos of Schellville:

Messages In This Thread