S gauge box cars from a box of loose parts
Ralph Wrote:Repaint! Smile The logo problem notwithstanding, I am so impressed by your whole casting process and creating cars from scratch. Worship Worship Worship

So far I have cast some boxcar parts but have not got the flashing off of them yet and the mold of the box car needs replaced already and I will alter the parts I used as masters to make a better mold. Now I have cast and assembled 1 stock car with S scale Kadee couplers as part of an article I submitted to 1:64 modeler which switched from print to e-zine format and now is folded not sure if he will give it another try or not as far as publishing a train magazine. If I can find my pic of the completed I will post it.

Casting once you get the hang of it not so tuff If keep the design simple and avoid undercuts and use the correct resin for the correct use such as thin parts need a slower setting resin that sets up harder for more strength. The box cars is easy in concept being the design is already there I am just duplicating it for my own use. The stock car was enlarged by way of scanner from HO to 136% which is close to S. I then built the masters right on the photo enlargement like the airplane hobbyists used to do, then I made a mold from the wood master I made. Will be cleaning up the cast parts soon and see how they look then.

As for the logo the state came out decent it is the Buckeye leaf and nuts and the lettering looks like a mess and not centered to boot 35 I used acrylic paint and a wood skewer to apply the paint with.

I know you like PennCentral but do you like NYC? If so there is a historical society called NYCS and they have a free PDF magazine covering all scales and all things NYC. The free magazine is called NYCModeler not to be confuesed with the other publication for the Historical society members. I found out thru the S-Trains list.

Messages In This Thread