Track planning blues
Sumpter250 Wrote:Matt,
USS Carronade IFS-1, isn't the mightiest "steel" ship in the world, but if this module were HO scale , it would be 4' X 8' !instead of 2' X 4' :o
- - - - - - and the ship alone would measure over four feet long.
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
I still have a lot of work to do on the ship, and the drydock area. Where this is only one Ntrak module, the HO modules seem to always demand preference, but, I just put five more trees on the new modules set, and there's only room left for a few small shrubs, so maybe I'll get around to finishing "Carronade", in N scale.
The drydock, SHS&D's smallest, is 294' long, 74' wide, and 30' deep. just the drydock would occupy 40-3/4" X 10-1/4" X 4" if built in HO.
The Destroyer I served in would be 52" in HO, 28-1/4" in N, and would not fit in this drydock !

"It's just a toy"? - - - - not if the level of detail is there to make it believable.

The point? I guess the "point" is more a question of- - -Just how much space do you have for a layout? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

P.S. I've seen some impressive z scale scenes too !!

Eheh! I knew I shouldn't give my opinion about smaller scales! Icon_lol Welcome in the horrendous world of perceptions!

I won't deny that magnificent warship in N scale isn't mighty. In fact, it is and the scene is impressive. However, it is fairly larger that a regular locomotive or car. In that respect, the scale is pertinent for the modelled subject. I would had that the tiny N scale train beside it just helps to emphasize the ship size.

I've seen many of those N scale layout you could think they were made in HO. They make great pictures. But in real life, I'm not impressed by a rolling stock item that is slightly longer than my eyeball.

One of my favorite thing in model railroading, is to place my eyes at ground level and watch the train runs. It gives me the sensation to railfan the real thing. That is hardly achievable with smaller scales. Otherwise, N scale will always be the best choice to model large railway structure, scenes and other big things. If I were ever modelling a large trestle, I'd choose N scale or Z scale because it would have enough place to blend itself in a large scenery credible enough to support it. A large trestle in HO is to often a craftman winning-prize masterpiece stuck between two tunnel portals on a 4 feet long strectch.

I think choosing a scale is deeply related to what you want to emphasize. BTW, modules in N scale make a lot of sense to me. A group of people could realistically try to build an entire branchline that way. In term of club operation, that would be fascinating... truly.

On second thought, your suggestion to model Ste. Anne's area in N scale is an avised choice. Only a small scale could show the amazing setting of a long stretch of rails nested between an oversized basilica, a mighty river and a cliff. In fact, that would make an amazing working diorama for a museum (I've once thought about it).

Space is like money, the more you get doesn't equal in fullfilment. I'd rather be first in a small village than second in Roma!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread