Hamilton & Great Lakes Railroad
Thanks again , guys .

Wayne , I remember the chain was a little too big for HO but it was my best choice ...don't think it was O scale but hard to remember 10 years ago . The bucket and arm , itself was a real chore ( it's where the operator goes and I did have an old pic with the man in mine ) and there are over 150 separate pieces I cut/laminated/glued to get it right .

Schraddel , my Hulett is the 1915 Whiskey Island version . Crazy as it sounds , I thought it was more "stylish" than other versions . I don't think a lot of people realize how important George Hulett's invention was back in the late 1800's . Before he came along they were hand balming cargo ...granted , ships were "only" mostly 300 footers but still , what a job . His invention was a huge time saver .

Reinhard , I have seen the video that focuses on the Hulett operator many times . In Ashtabula Ohio ( about a 3 hour drive from my house in Ontario ) there is a marine museum with a Hulett bucket displayed outside . I will confess that when nobody was around I did jump into the bucket and stood where the operator would . Hulett's were powered by electricity and if that panel behind the driver ever blew ..... Eek ...a hugely dangerous job , and breathing in all the iron ore dust when they dropped inside the cargo hold ...not good .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.

Messages In This Thread