East Terminal & Newburgh
Thank you for the progress. And the test runs were to have be at least sucessful :hey: Wallbang

The next modules, here #4 and #5:
[Image: dsc02350d2qtw.jpg]
Laying tracks and look what it looks alike.

[Image: dsc023518mrb0.jpg]
Or so?

[Image: dsc02352lvo1g.jpg]
Better so?

[Image: dsc02352lvo1g.jpg]
Or better not so dense?

[Image: dsc02353iizy9.jpg]
Trying the other way?

[Image: dsc02354tyl4m.jpg]
???
Don't know, time to put it on the side and make progress on the other end.

[Image: dsc02355lwlkk.jpg]
It was time to make decisions about switch actuating. The Flats are a "Dark Territory", meaning there is no CTC at all and all switches are manual thrown.
So i decided to do also in model.
Here i have drilled through the ground plate and have inserted small aluminium tubes.
All the rail joiners were soldered. Do not allow any chance for current interruption.

[Image: dsc02356b5ad6.jpg]
Then i ballasted modules #1 and #2 and painted the rails and wooden sleeperes rust brown. Yes some areas were overseen and have to be fixed still.

[Image: dsc02357j0ab7.jpg]
The eye of the camera is incorruptible and mercyless. So here i found flaws otherwise never seen in reality.

[Image: dsc023580elsb.jpg]
The top surface of the rails were cleaned up and again test runs were made.
So a progress which consumes the time of several days is written down in one article.

Switch actuating.
So i went down into the cellar and had a look what was stored there on the shelves. Came up with a handful of olde English toggle switches of very traditional pattern.
They were were heavy to toggle because of very strong springs in it. On British cars those switches were mounted on the dashboard and managed the electrical darkness. (I have had driven an MG B for 22 years)

[Image: dsc02360077o.jpg]
So i soldered pieces of 70mm length of 4mm brass rods on the knobs of the switches. Of course the knobs were solid brass, quality of an bygone aera, never seen again in today products. A 2mm bore was made to receipt a brass wire leading towards the (rail) switches.
The el. switches were mounted on an L-channel screwed onto the front of the modules.

[Image: dsc0236297wd.jpg]
That is what actuates the switches.
Simply brass rods.
A pushrod ist actuating by the el. switch.
It connects to a second lever also made out of brass wire which leads through the botton plate, the aluminium tube, and ...

[Image: dsc02593a7pp.jpg]
... that is what you see from above.

Frog juicing.
Was rather simple because that are el. switches.
There are 3 leads:
- left rail to one of the ON-terminals ot the el. switch
- right rail to el. switch to the other ON-terminal
- frog to the middle terminal

N.B. In accordance to Murphy's Laws you have to exchange the two leads to the two ON-terminal for having the correct polarity of the frog depending to the rail switch direction. Allways.

I love to switch the switches by switching the switches Big Grin

Lutz

Edit: Rechtschreibefehler

Messages In This Thread