A VOM tutorial
tetters Wrote:Better late then never. Hey Don, mind telling me how to use this contraption?

OK, easy enough, just refer to my tutorial for how to use it, I'll tell you here how to set it up.

1. To measure DC volts, put the black lead in "COM" and the red lead in "V". Turn the meter dial to any of the DC--- positions, always at a higher scale than you are trying to measure. Like, set it at "20" if you are measuring 12 volts. Always start at the highest setting if you're not sure of the voltage, or you could burn out the meter.
  2. To measure AC volts, do the same but set the dial to V~ positions.
  3. To measure DC current, put the black lead in "COM" and the red one in "A". Turn the meter dial to "200 m" position and start there, you can switch to a lower setting when you are sure the current is much lower. The maximum you can read with your meter is 200 milliamps, or .2 amps. If you try to measure anything higher you will either burn the meter out or you will blow an internal fuse if it has one.
  4. To measure resistance, use the "COM" and the "Ω" inputs. You can read anything from a few ohms to 20 megohms. It's best to start at a lower scale and work your way up.
  5. To measure continuity, you should be able to use the position below the 200 ohms setting. When you touch the probes together,the meter should buzz. That way you can use the meter to check for shorts.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread