Building a modular home layout
Here's more from Dennis about his mudules:
Since my "module"s don't go to shows I have bolted them together with really long lag bolts and "washers" I made from 3"x3"x 1/8" plywood. I can see that your clamp idea would work very well, do you use any thin plywood buffers between the clamps and foam to spread out the surface area?

The scenery is all beaded Styrofoam that I carved with a hot knife, then coated with an ultra thin layer of plaster-of-paris, followed by a painting of gesso; and finished off with washes. Areas where I cut into the blue foam, or used left over blue foam for the mountain carving I found that the plaster-of-paris coat was unnecessary, the gesso coat was sufficient prior to the washes.

The glue to use is Liquid Nails Paneling & Molding Adhesive. Foam to foam takes a couple of days to set-up, foam to wood about one day, I hold everything together while drying with masking tape. My experience with white glue was a mess; I had glued some blue foam pieces together with it as an experiment and set it aside for TWO WEEKS, when I got around to working with it the white glue began running out from between the seams; when I took it apart I found that only the very outer areas next to the edges had dried, the glue in the middle was still as wet as if it was still in the bottle; and there was no grip to the dried glue either.

We use wood frames under our club modules, and bolt them together at shows.

Hope this helps,
Dennis
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler

Messages In This Thread