comming soon the Ruby Belle tow boat scratch build
"Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling", 1969-70 Edition by Charles F. Chapman, M.E.

Lights for various types of craft - Inland Rules:
11- Inland Tug with tow alongside, or pushed ahead:

Bow ( foremast or forward ): Two White 20 point, vertically arranged at least three feet apart.

Side: Red 10 point port, Green 10 point Starboard ( side light obstructed by the tow, the light is transferred to the
outside of the tow ).
Range: When pushing tow ahead, and using 20 point white towing lights forward, may carry two amber 12 point lights
aft ( vertically ) not visible forward of the beam ( widest point of the hull ).

This offered just in case you would like to light the Ruby Belle "according to the rules", OK, as of no later than 1970. Wink
Points : There are 32 points on a compass. Each point is 11.25 degrees. So, a 20 point light forward, is visible for 112.5 degrees either side of center line from the ship's bow.
The 12 point lights aft would be visible 67.5 degrees either side of center line from the ship's stern.
The light fixture would have baffles on each side to block the light from view beyond its "point rating".
Light point value is from the bow, unless it is an aft facing light. in any case it is the angle from the vessel's center line.

There are probably not a lot of model railroaders who would know these facts, unless they had modeled boats/ships, or worked in "the industry".
Hope you find this information helpful.
PS. Hope the sound install goes well. Thumbsup
Pete
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread