The KP&W's RDC
The only passenger service provided by the Kings Port and Western are RDC runs for commuters. As I develop an operations schedule it seems that the RDC will probably be the first and last event of an operating session. I run DC so I have to arrange trains with the availability of open blocks for staging in mind. At the start of a session I plan to stage the RDC on one of the two hidden tracks behind the large Empire Grain complex. It will enter the layout from this tunnel at West Mill.
[Image: 006-9_zpsb835f58e.jpg]

Shortly after clearing the tunnel it will stop at the West Mill commuter station. Local Train MK-3 (Mayfield to Kings Port) waits in the tunnel portal in the background for the RDC to clear.
[Image: 007-8_zpse61c5fe5.jpg]

After stopping at the station it will run past the carfloat and all of those freight cars staged for switching...
[Image: 013-3_zpsdf89a6c5.jpg]

...and then it will follow the curve to the right and disappear under GERN.
[Image: 014-2_zpsaa4beb0b.jpg]

The RDC will emerge in Kings Port after passing under GERN and then continue its way upgrade until it reaches Kings Port's station.
[Image: 023_zpse688a580.jpg]

Continuing on, it crosses Ulster Ave. So far, the safety stripes at the end are the only thing identifying the RDC as a KP&W unit. I haven't decided whether to simply place the company name along the top or to use the NY State map logo (perhaps to be placed in the space between the cargo door and the passenger windows) that is found on some freight cars.
[Image: 020_zpsc37a0879.jpg]

Following the high line the RDC appears to submerge into the greenery like a submarine. Its about to roll behind Empire Grain on the upper level. I can continue running the RDC at this point and return it to Kings Port for temporary storage, or else hide it behind Empire Grain while running some local switching with MK-3.
[Image: 021_zpsc7e7363f.jpg]

When its time to return the RDC it will pop out from behind Empire Grain to be briefly seen passing by MM tower at Marion.
[Image: 022_zps6a01fe2e.jpg]

It will stop at Kings Port Station in the opposite direction as it traverses a return loop, and then will ultimately find its way at the entrance to Williams Yard in Kings Port where it is stopped on a pocket siding I use for locomotives. At the end of the ops session tracks will be clear to reverse this run and send it back to West Mill to be stored on its original hidden track in the tunnel for next time.
[Image: 025_zps681c8b4f.jpg]

My goal in creating an operation schedule is to try to find ways for all trains to return to their original positions without too much effort. I'm hoping to make those moves part of an "Alternating Day" sequence so I don't have to do much 0-5-0 switching of trains to get them ready for a session.

Ralph

Messages In This Thread