The Whiskey River Railway
I have two other points of interest that I've yet to draw/adapt a concept for. The first is the Badger Quarry, which I'm unsure if I want to build as a separate module or integrate it into one of my towns. In my one plan of Rock Ridge that I posted I modified the track plan to incorporate it, and would lead to believe that's how the town got it's name in addition to the zinc/lead mine. Plus it has the obvious cliff on the south side of town for the quarry.

The second place I've yet to make plans for is Camp Pierre. Camp Pierre has a deep sentimental place in my heart as it's named in honor of one of my good friends that I lost in Afghanistan, SGT Linda Pierre. Her and myself came to Ft. Campbell at the same time, and we quickly became really close friends. My wife was less than pleased to find out the person I was spending all this free time with was a female, but after I moved her and my daughter down from Wisconsin after I got back from Korea she quickly understood that it was not like that at all. If it would be possible, my wife and I agree that Linda would have been my daughter's second God-mother. She was a great person, a great leader and a great friend. The morning of April 16, 2011 is when a Taliban infiltrator wearing an Afghan National Army uniform walked on FOB Gamberi wearing an IED vest. He went into the main meeting building where a higher level meeting was going to happen but came in too early. Linda, SSG Taylor (our master driver), SFC Adkins (my motor sergeant prior to deployment), SPC Cemper (our computer guru) and SGT Moses (one of our medics) all were in the building when this happened and were ultimately killed. We received the word at around noon that something had happened out there (as I was in Bagram AB working as the maintenance analyst for the 101st Sustainment Brigade) and that there were six casualties. My heart immediately sunk, as I knew my good friend was out there. By 1330 they had the list of names. I know not of one person who didn't shed a tear that day, as everyone knew someone who was killed. The worst part of it was, when something like that happens, you can't call home to vent about it. You go on communications black out until you get the "ok" from higher up. I did disregard that rule though, and called my wife to tell her, "We had a bad day here". It was so hard not to let it all out, but being the smart woman she is, she figured it out as it was on the news relatively quick. She knew where Linda was, and when she heard it was at Gamberi it made sense why I was crying on the phone with her. I doubt I'll ever forget that day, as it seemed to drag on forever and affected how I live today as a soldier.

Camp Pierre, like all of my towns along the WRRy ROW, is fictional but will have a back story similar to that of Camp Claiborne, LA. Camp Claiborne was set up in early 1942 to train soldiers of the Engineer Corps for WW2. It was also home to the 711th Railway Operating Battalion and had a unique shortline that ran 50 miles between Camp Claiborne and Camp Polk (now Fort Polk). Camp Pierre will be a Ordnance Corps training site located west of Milwaukee to teach new recruits how to maintain and recover all sorts of military equipment that was established in 1940. It will be home to the 416th Maintenance Company and give me plenty of unique operations, to include troop trains and lots of flatcars with various military vehicles. Some of that equipment will be a challenge to model as since I'm modeling the first half of the war, a lot of the stuff was thrown into operation and quickly destroyed with few pictures. The most difficult will be the various wheeled-vehicle recovery units (aka tow trucks), as a lot of builders had just built stuff for the government without a standardized plan.

Also since I've discovered this website, the Sergeant Major of the Ordnance Corps is interested in GERN's flux properties for possible use in the war. That has led to talk within the towns to possibly let GERN develop a plant somewhere in Wisconsin along the WRRy. In the near future a meeting should be held with the CEO of GERN and the manager of the Whiskey River Railway to discuss how advantageous GERN can be to not just the US Army but the economy of south-central Wisconsin. It was overheard from the meeting room, "If we can beat the Nazis by 3%, then by George it's good enough for me!"
Tyler D.
General Manager
[Image: image.php?album_id=238&image_id=4544&display=popup]

Messages In This Thread