A second start for my "White Swan" reefers
Thanks tetters, thanks Gus!

Tetters, I have made a few shots and photomontages to think about your idea/question.
First two pictures shown the present condition of models in comparison to other models.

[Image: whiteswan-wh_01.jpg]

An old 36' MDC reefer is right pictured and an 36' ATLAS reefer of their present old time reefer serie on left side. How you can see are the dimensions of ATLAS model a bit beside of reality, only they are well colored and lettered.

[Image: whiteswan-wh_02.jpg]

Second picture shows a floor level line in equal height on both cars - and so was my plan to build my models. Result is an well oversized model. Doc Wayne has written a value for the height of these cars in a former post and I have calculated that my model is well built, I think. So good, so far!

But now, your idea or question, tetters - and not a bad idea! I have made a few modifications at one of cars and I'm surprised. But look! (Meantime the roof sheating is added, too.)

[Image: whiteswan-vgl_01k.jpg]

[Image: whiteswan-vgl_02k.jpg]

I removed a brass cover from the original MDC coupler box and did set the body similarly deeper, around 1 mm or 0.04' and this is the result (right). I think it looks better and your question, Tetters, was come by the deep hanging coupler boxes, I think.
And now both "White Swans" in comparison with the other models.

[Image: whiteswan-vgl_03k.jpg]

[Image: whiteswan-vgl_04k.jpg]

The 'lowered car' with the dark door hinges can be clearly seen. This is particularly noticeable in the more trimmed wheel sets, I think - and the right model sits in contrast "on the wheels".
However I'm not sure in moment if I should rebuild all my models? Is this looking more realistic now?
If you like to compare the picture of the catalog here then you should say 'Yes'. But this is a picture that was made by a graphic artist. The body sits deep on trucks.
Do you have same impression showing this picture from original car with Carstens lettering?

And a fast addition - the direct comparison: lowered and original.
[Image: whiteswan-vgl_05k.jpg]

I'm very interested to read your arguments. Please write your ideas and thoughts. Thank you very much for your help!

And Lutz, I will not say you where the RIP track can be found.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.

Messages In This Thread