Freelance 2013-2 (MAW)
Reinhard;

Actually, the large "flat" grain bins have a slopped bottom that you can't see to allow the grain to flow into a below ground conveyor system. Those below ground conveyors would move the grain back to the elevator (or grain leg) where it would then again be raised and then routed out pipes for loading. This gives you a somewhat circular flow for the grain in so far as when it's received, it's moved via the elevator/grain leg to the storage bins and then when you ship it out, it again goes through the elevator/grain leg and routed through pipes for loading. The routing of the grain from the top of the elevator/grain leg to various pipes is controlled by that round looking thing you see at the left top of the Walther's photo.

The term "leg" is what people I've talked to around elevators call those tall thin vertical "elevators" like the one that Walther's sells; so either term would be okay. Principal is the same as it was with the old elevators where it is a continuous belt will small buckets that lift the grain to a high elevation where it is then routed to the storage bins. You should be able to find illustrations or diagrams on the Internet showing how the grain is handled. Hope I'm not confusing you. I've always been interested in these grain elevators myself, which explains why I now have a fleet of about 30 covered hoppers and a couple of un-assembled or partially assembled Walther's grain elevators that are now surplus because of my layout theme changes.

Here's a very interesting web site I just located that shows various modern grain elevator design and components that might explain things better than I have: http://www.agdesignllc.com/
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread