Sorry I just had to do this.
shortliner Wrote:Ordinary batteries die because, if they aren't used, the light slowly leaks out of the minute holes and joins in the metal casing around the outside. Rechargable batteries are different - look at an AAA size or AA size one - on the top is a little round knob sometimes marked with a + sign. If you are lucky a leccy store will have suitable size keys for sale ( different size keys fit the different size batteries) but they may be sold out because the keys are in very high demand. You take the key, place it over the knob, and wind it up clock-wise - it normally takes between 100 -200 full turns to wind the clockwork spring behind the light reservoir to get it wound tight enough - but once that's done you are good to go! They also sell "chargers" that you plug into a wall socket, but that is for lazy or weak people, just to power the motor in the charger unit that winds up the battery for you - so you don't get aching wrists, and people give you knowing looks when you complain about it! :o

That's true to a point for some batteries. I ordered a battery charger off the Net for my "Non-windup" batteries and when I got it, well, it was half of a bicycle with the crank attached to two leads that you clamped on to a battery. For 1.5 volt batteries, you simply peddled at a low speed for about an hour. 12 volt batteries require you to peddle at a speed of around 10 miles an hour for a bit longer. It had a quick charge mode where you really put the peddle to the metal. Eek At that point, you find it less tiring to just walk to the nearest Ace Hardware store and buy a new battery. Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread