Platinate Overland Trolleys
Thanks Reinhard!

Here's the next post, showing my finished modules so far.

I decided to build small showcase style modules and each show case represents a different section on the line, a different era or even different season. So it's easy to represent totally different scenes beside each other and I can skip sections of the line or maybe add them later step by step. As written in the first post, I live in Böchingen directly at the old railroad line. So I started in this area with two sections on the line between Nußdorf and Böchingen.

"Three stones"

This is the name of a stop at a rural crossroad where passengers for Frankweiler would depart. The village itself is 3.5km to the west and the passengers had to walk from their home to the railroad. BTW: Mr. John Cullmann was born in Frankweiler and emigrate to the United States in 1865. He founded the city of Cullman in Alabahma 1873.

Even today you'll find three large sandstones under some trees at this crossing. That's where the stop got it's name from. Beside the stop, there was a passing siding. The mainline was single track only so the trains had to use the sidings. There where 13 sidings at all.

The real location.

In this photo, you'll see the trees where the stones are placed. The road to the left will lead to Frankweiler, while the road on the right goes down to Böchingen. the railroad came from the lower left corner and run down the road to Böchingen. Left to the tree group was the passing spur located.
[Image: dscn1524.jpg]

A look to the opposite direction shows the road to Nußdorf. The rails where embeted in the right side of the street. The road to the right is the one to Frankweiler. The left one will lead into the upper part of Nußdorf.
[Image: dscn1528.jpg]

The three stones...
[Image: dscn1529.jpg]

And here's what my model is look like.

The scene was modeled in the summer of 1952. The wheat will be harvested soon and the next January, service will abondonned on the south section of the railroad. Today you'll find the three stones under some trees here. It's a nice picnic place. All the fields are planted with grapes today.

First an overview. This module is 110x25cm.
[Image: bild_1.jpg]

A 2-car train comes up from Nußdorf. Some passengers are waiting at the stop by the stones under the trees. On the backdrop you may imagine Frankweiler in the distance... There was a sandstone quary nearby...
[Image: bild_2.jpg]

The 3-car train from Edenkoben is waiting in the passing siding for the train from Landau.
[Image: bild_3.jpg]

After passing the other train, the short one continues down to Böchingen. Sheppard Hubert is on travel with his herd of sheeps...
[Image: bild_4.jpg]

The next post will show you the second module, dedicated to the fine palatinate wine...

Cheers, Gerd

Messages In This Thread