Posing A Question About THe Hobby
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:When they re-did the layout at Chicago's Transportation Museum, they did the same thing. Interesting on how they built all the tall buildings, did the scenery, but it wasn't more than a five page advertisement for the company that did the work. Granted, if the project was commissioned to a true model railroader, they would probably still be working on it today. You know how we are..everything has to be perfect. But that layout was for public display.

NOW.....If it were me, and I had hired a company to build my layout, with the only input from me is, "Put that over there....I want this here....NO...No.....Over there.", how could I proudly show others and call it my own. I'd rather take the money spent on hiring someone to do it for me, and do it myself.

But, if I had physical limitations, such as being wheel chair bound, paralyzed, or some other debilitating limitaion, (and had really deep pockets), but still enjoyed running trains, it might be the only way I could enjoy the hobby.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

In that case, it seems to me that a simple disclaimer statement in the article would set the record straight.

As it stands, a person who didn't even know what a model train layout was could hire someone to build an award winning layout and get it featured in one of the hobby magazines.

I don't think that is what modeling is all about, personally.

Messages In This Thread