Posing A Question About THe Hobby
Quote:Is there any socially redeeming value left in this thread?
Russ, I guess that depends on what we consider "social", and what we define as "redeeming".
If, a response has been reasonably thought out, and the responder is willing to "take" as well as "give", then I would see that as "social".
If, in any way, a specific topic can be defined by consensus, as beneficial, or as detrimental, then I would see that as having "value".
If, in any way, that value, can lead to improving conditions within our "community", I would then see it as redeeming.

My participation in this hobby, has always been as a model maker. My expectations of the authors, and publishers, of "related hobby magazines", has been to educate hobbyists about the subject of their hobby, and the means by which they can improve their skills in that hobby.
Even in an article about a commercially built layout, there can be inspiration. Yes, that level of detail can be achieved, or possibly,I never thought of building that, in that manner.
The defense that subscription costs would soar if articles of this nature were to be disallowed, can be viewed as a surrender to the "don't build it, buy it" mentality, and I do not mean that that is wrong for the hobby, but I do feel that it is wrong for me. I have already stated that I dropped my subscription, because I was no longer learning from the content. I see MR as a never-ending commercial, and miss the days when there was challenging, and informative content.
Perhaps, in this day and age, the "magazine" has no choice but to become a cover to cover advertisement. There are now, sources like this forum to provide the education, and skill improvement, that is disappearing from hard print.
Perhaps, in these provisions, the fact that forums like this exist, and the exchange of information and opinion can be ongoing, there is social redemption.
As long as we can attack the topic, and remain responsible enough to not attack each other, there can be change for the better. There can be education, and skill improvement, and inspiration.
It is when I see what others have achieved, that I recognize my own mistakes. Without that recognition, I would not learn. When the day comes that I stop learning, I stop living.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread