4X8 layouts
jwb Wrote:Chris, that would be a good layout if built by someone of any age, but the fact that you started it in your early teens speaks volumes for your ability. I have only a few things left from anything I did in my early teens -- it just wouldn't have stood up (I started the hobby by simply gluing NMRA horn-hook couplers to the bottoms of cars, for instance, i.e., without even the coupler boxes). The Callahan Central is clearly a good plan, too. I keep hoping that, even though you have in mind getting rid of the layout in the foreseeable future, you can find a way to hold on to it and keep working on it. You'll treasure it down the road if you do!

You're definitely right, and this layout probably still has a few more years ahead of it, so long as it has a place to stay.

To be fair to my layout, I probably try to run equipment to large for it. Even in the book I used to build the layout, the equipment was a GP18, SW1, and mostly 40' cars, in smaller trains.

The original Callahan central called for 4 industries, a Cannery (1 reefer), an oil dealer (1 tank car), a warehouse (1 boxcar), and a team-track (2 cars).

I on the other hand, am trying to shove six cars worth of industry, and commuter trains, into the same space (prior to 2007, i tried to have 8 cars worth of industrial sidings!). Its just not practical to operate 8 car trains, GG1s and other large locomotives on a layout this size.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread