Where is the ground in Chicago?
Brakie Wrote:Steve:Here come those 'straw men' again.
------------------------------------------------
Straw men?

The beauty of a ISL is there's not much to do in changing the location or backdating the layout.Some of us enjoy modeling a certain industrial area like Lance does while others takes a more generic approach both is equally correct.

If I'm modeling 122nd Street Industrial lead in Anywhere USA then I should used local industry names to set the location.Thankfully most modern industries uses the same upside down shoe box building design and changing locations is as easy as changing names of the industries..

Larry, I completely agree. My comment was with regard to the spurious assertion by JWB that there are 'a million layouts like that in the UK' and that, even if that were true, it is somehow not challenging and, hence, to be derided. The fact that a layout may not be seen to be 'challenging' is somehow seen by John as being less worthy and thus can be justifiably criticised. The reality is that most people will build what they enjoy and that may well result in many variations on that theme. I see that as perfectly justifiable and not to be derided by a pejorative overtone. It is also true that for many, the pleasure is in the construction rather than the operation, hence more layouts built to a level that they consider acceptable, rather than a lifetime constructing a 'magnus opus'. I also don't see anything wrong with a layout that can realistically be converted from one area to another 'with a few hours work'. Strikes me as being a damn good idea and ensures greater 'play value' for the space and time available.

Messages In This Thread