Wisconsin - Board manufacturer
What many of you don't know because you probably haven't worked for a railroad is that it is often tough, dirty, thankless work and what appears to be a fun part of a hobby, isn't. I am a railroader and have been for 47 years along with also being a modeler. After a tough week it's sometimes hard to get excited about the industry as a hobby. I thought i could add something of value to the conversation about the history of the line and industry but I probably should have stayed clear of it as it was not a positive experience.
The wood mill that you folks are currently discussing was a very difficult, time consuming place to switch, on the Wisconsin Northern (it was reached off the former main via a switch back which only held three car lengths) and the revenue was low ( when you are a struggling, short line you take any business) with absolutely no future for growth. We worked hard to try and get more business but the trucks beat us out and the company didn't really care about growing the rail side. It became a no-win situation as hard as we tried and the good service we provided they just played us against the truckers in order to get lower freight rates and then stopped taking cars.
Well, now you know why this would be the last industry I would model but having provided more information than many would care about I do look forward to seeing what creative modelers on this site can do with it.

Barry

Messages In This Thread