Old Rivarossi UP FEF upgraded
Hello Folks!

A long while ago i got a basket case of an Rivarossi UP 4-8-4, not complete and some parts like the tender shell and pilot truck were missing. As i am not an UP man or an enthusiast of big big steam, this basket case remained resting in pieces until a few days ago. A friend of mine, who also owns an loco of exact the same type and manufacturer, have had the idea to make out of these 1 and 3/4 engines one engine which runs.
With old Rivarossi stock you have a couple of problems:
- deep flanges of traditional toy train style
- traction tires, unfortunately all of them were mounted onto the wheels of the left side
- old motors drawing a lot of amperes an with a nasty running culture
- high speed gears, this also a typical toy train feature

What's to do?
1) turn down the flanges in accordance to NMRA to a height of 0.6mm
2) remove all wheel with traction tires and replace them with thoses without rubbers
3) replace the gears to create a higher gear ratio
4) substitute the motor with a modern can type with less draft an more output
5) make new cardan shaft between motor and gear
6) make an 8-pin DCC socket according to NMRA

[Image: dsc07023kvsj7.jpg]
Here a new axle gear was mounted. The Rivarossi axle was turned down at the center portion to enable the mounting of the gear with a bore of 2.6mm to press fit it.
Otherwise after the mounting of the gear a thin bushing was mounted onto one axle stub to correct the axle diameter to 3.0mm as it was before turning.

[Image: dsc0702440sie.jpg]
The other part of the gear. A new worm mounted onto the old shaft. A pair of shims under the bearings will adjust the correct mesh between worm and axle gear.

Before, factory mounted: gear ratio was 1:16 with a module of 0.6
After conversion: gear ratio is now 1:29 with a module of 0.4
The new gears are from Roco and made out of technical plastics.

[Image: dsc07026a1sei.jpg]
Here the new can motor is glued into place. Lateron there will be an additional screwed bracket to fix the motor.
A new cardan shaft was made with parts out of the grab box.
It is now ready for fitting the electric stuff.

Lutz

Messages In This Thread