Westbrook
Actually, let's think about New England in the Guilford period, 1985-2005 or so. You don't need to go anywhere near water. The main Guilford route was well inland, and the Massachusetts coastal branches went to the MBTA. Guilford was essentially an extension by merger of the Maine Central, however you slice it, and its main traffic was in and out of Maine -- the B&M and D&H were just bridge carriers to the MEC, which was the strongest carrier. The traffic was basically outbound paper products, inbound raw materials for paper like kaolin and marble slurry, and locally pulpwood. There was inbound poultry and dairy cattle feed, inbound flour and corn syrup for some food producers, and inbound petroleum products. Not much of this involved generic warehouses, and a feed mill or distributor really doesn't look like an aggregate transfer facility. If it were me, though that's just me, I'd want to eliminate anything that made my layout look like every other shunty-plank, while at the same time suggesting the actul industries you find in New England, as well as portraying something of the area. If you visited the place and remember it happily, why not stress what makes it unique?

Messages In This Thread