Westbrook
Good concept Reinhard, that's what I generally do. I have to admit I am working on (and far from complete I might add) getting a little closer to the prototype on my own home layout, but it will always be a compromise. I can't simply fit what I want in the space I have without compromise. So while I call it the California Northern, and in the meantime have some CFNR locos, have worked on collecting cars I've seen in videos (and still need several of other types more), have taken some liberties in the trackplans , and shortened my version of the loco servicing facilities at Napa Jct, at best I am going to be proto-freelancing, and that what most of us will be able to do at best.
I still have lots of research left, items to add, rolling stock to weather, time tables to set up etc, but that's all fun of this ever lasting hobby. My thread is showing my early steps in this project, and hopefully will eventually lead to a much closer representation of the real thing, documenting my progress over time, with comments , and suggestions from others chipped in.

Mal, I believe, is trying to achieve a similar thing. Perhaps not as close to a 'real' location as I am trying to do, but capturing the general look and feel, that 'could have been' as convincingly as possible given the available space etc.

I don't think for one minute he's trying to model the Guilford 100% accurate, but tries to give us a peek in to new england style railroading, and Guilford is one element that identifies 'New England' , as much as the SP says west coast, and FEC says Florida etc... (along with some scenic elements etc to enhance that feel).

In any case, what ever he does, I can tell the enjoyment that can be had from it, and enjoy the modeling regardless of locale, prototypical accuracy or whatnot.

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread