Freelance 2014-2
There are a lot of possibilities but I have to admit that some of them look really bad on my layout (I tested it!).
- Center beams and well cars are far to long for my curves. They look absolute lousy. I wasted my money and bought some of each.
- My "yard" was just reduced from 4 to 3 tracks and i am very happy with it. 4 tracks looked to dense to me.
- I do not like layouts loaded with tracks up to the operational optimum. I would certainly remove some more tracks if possible (no, it's not Sad )
- Transfer jobs stress the yard to it's limits. It looks far to crowded and switching in a 101% loaded yard is no fun anymore.
- A track from the hatch to the rear corner often conflicts with an open hatch (I did open the hatch ones with an engines in operation Confusedhock: )
- Dual use of tracks as "main line" and "industry lead" depending on the operation is not what I like.

Anyhow I will proceed with two suggestions
- Move from boxcars to covered hoppers and tank cars
- Mix and match industries not close to each other at the prototype

First thing I have started is to replace the left end (temporary) industry with oil loading facility and some oil tanks. That will bring tank cars into the daily operation. Cornerstone kits look similar to some installations way down at Alameda.

Open items are
- A tiny track plan modification to get a crossing included
- Get a prototypical industry in the center background served by covered hoppers
- Rebuild the none rail served commercial area at the right end with prototypical industry
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread