How much can we justify spending?
I was perusing through the latest MRR when I came across and ad for an HO Caterpillar mining shovel that was offered at $1,395 plus shipping. I wasn't sure if that was a misprint so I went to the Zycor website and sure enough, I found that wasn't the most expensive HO model in their inventory. There were several in the $1500 range and this one for only $6,195, air freight is extra. It is a detailed model, I'll give them that, but I'm not sure how many modelers can justify buying one for their layout or even have a layout big enough for one since it is over three feet long and two feet high. Huge by anyone's standards, even HO scale Icon_lol . They are limiting production to 120 units, which means they do expect more than just a few being bought.

I'm just wondering if this hobby isn't getting too expensive for a lot of us. I used to think that spending $100 on an engine was a lot, but now I see where $500 is common anymore. Yeah, you do get more for that much, but still, how many can we afford to buy at that price?
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread