How much can we justify spending?
I think it's problematic to impose a rigid set of rules for any kind of art, which model railroads are at basis. If the Strasburg is 6 miles long, its main line in HO would be 360+ feet. Two end stations and a middle passing siding -- Lance Mindheim would smile with approval (and no need for the wrong bridge at Trenton!). Dave Frary, definitely an artist, had a lot of tips in his original scenery book -- put two scenes at different levels, for instance, or divide them with tree lines or whatever. This is no different from what painters like Vermeer did -- too much stuff to fit on a table in your still life, no problem, just sorta-kinda finesse the edges of the table! Too much going on in Hamlet? No problem, just make the whole time scheme kinda crazy, where people report time-warp style things going on between scenes!

Artists always break the rules. The question is how well they can get away with it. I've visited Jim Vail's narrow gauge layout a couple of times -- it's in the latest MR. Lance would frown: too much track, too many scenes. I think JIm's layout is one of the greats.

Messages In This Thread