Clay Slurry Tank Cars
I really wasn't paying much attention to tank cars until somewhere in the early 80's when I suffered a bout of "disieseization", when I started scratchbuilding / kit bashing some CNW diesels ( SD-60,SD-70, GP-15 ). Saw a lot of Kaolin cars in the Waukegan yard, but that was...early-mid 80's. As I understand it, Kaolin, was originally processed and shipped in boxcars, as a clay. It wasn't until the Kaolin clay got mixed with water and made into Kaolin Slurry, that tank cars were used to transport it.
I found one reference to Kaolin slurry, and ships: A business for transportation of Kaolin slurry in ships was founded in 1978.
This was the earliest mention of the subject I could find on my s l o w computer so there may be earlier references to shipping the product, but I have a feeling that it won't be much earlier.
You might try searching "patents" for the manufacturing process / shipping process.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread