VGN 2-10-10-2 - my 2014 challenge
In last days a have done last small changes at my recent car projects and now I must wait for help or next steps which should done by friends, painting or help for construction for 3D-printing. So I can change to my long time planed rebuilding project - the Virginian 2-10-10-2 class AE. I know I have postet a few pictures of my model already and now it must get a reworking! So far, the model is a bad runner that I want to change necessarily.

[Image: vgn-ae_001kk.jpg]

[Image: vgn-ae_002kk.jpg]

[Image: vgn-ae_003kk.jpg]

[Image: Virginian_Railway_AE.jpg]

Here yet a picture of one of originals - a free usable picture after rules of Wikimedia Commons.

Again a few highlights because I love this engine.
The AE was built in 1918 by ALCO and it was at this time and also until to end of this loco type in 1952 an absolute giant!
- Pulling power 147,200 lbs (working as compound engine) and 176,600 lbs (as simple working engine with high pressure steam to all four cylinders).
- The biggest cylinders ever used to a steam engine (30” high power and 48” low power, both 32” stroke) – for readers in metric dimensions: dia 762 mm and 1219 mm by 813 mm way.
- The biggest ever used boiler diameter 118” (outer dia.) or 2997 mm.
- Biggest wide at front cylinders 144” or 3658 mm.
- Weight on drivers in working orders 617,000 lbs.
The engines were so large that the must moved from the erecting shops to the VGN with removed front cylinders and without the cab.
What for an engine and built in 1918 already. See also the long living time – until 1952.
Their only problem was the extreme slow max. speed, only 15 mph or 25 km/h because the small driver diameter, the big piston stroke and the extreme high masses of pistons, crossheads and rods – however it was good enough for pulling extreme heavy coal trains over steep grades while 35 years of life! Can you discover my enthusiasm for this engine?

Now I will start to give the model a new life and I would like to add a few better features as that what mass produced models have.

[Image: vgn-ae_013kk.jpg]

[Image: vgn-ae_015kk.jpg]

In last year already I repaired a missing knee at one of steam exhaust pipes, but this was only a beauty repair without many work.
What I mus do these are these very bad realized solutions.

[Image: vgn-ae_022kk.jpg]

The picture shows an extreme bad working power transfer from motor to rear driver group by a hard and heavily bent hose ...

[Image: vgn-ae_023kk.jpg]

... and a too short and hard connection from rear to front frame.

[Image: vgn-ae_025-2kk.jpg]

In result all the front drivers are hinging over the rails if the rear drivers run about a small bump on tracks. The mobility of the front frame is severely limited by the extremely inflexible gear connection to front-frame, so the entire weight of the locomotive is focused on the rear engine - and this must be changed! Basically!
Now I startet with a scetch of loco and I compared it with a drawing of original. So I hope to get a good base for all the changes which I would like to realize.

[Image: vgn_ae_drawing_comp-engl.jpg]

To be continued.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.

Messages In This Thread