Minimum depth of "water".
Hi folks,

I drew up a sketch last night to illustrate for my own sake an elevation profile or cross section my harbor. What I was trying to illustrate was the difference in height between the roadbed and the floor of the harbor ""lake bed". Initially I was just going to plunk the 3/4 ply onto the framing for the shelving I built underneath my layout however that would make the harbor impossibly deep and I would spend a fortune on fake water just trying to fill it. I tried drawing it up in CAD to share but I'm a little distracted today so anyways.

My question after all my figuring is I have a depth of 1/2 of an inch to fill in an volume area that measures 12" x "96" x 1/2". If I remember my math correctly that works out to 576 cubic inches which converted into ounces makes it a whooping 319 ounces! Confusedhock:

I am now considering ways to reduce this number however hopefully still maintain a realistic deep lake bed harbor setting. I had already planned on painting the bottom a dark blue fading into a dark green/blue at the perimeter. I'm also thinking of ways to build the dock but create the illusion that it is almost entirely sitting over top of the water, like only put in a couple rows of pilings and then a solid wall of pilings a couple inches inward. If push comes to shove, I may just create a "concrete" dock, however that is not what I want. Call me crazy, but I want a great big honking wood dock. I've also considered that the car float, float apron, assorted pilings and other items like rocks along the perimeter to complete the scene will reduce the over all volume, however I cannot see how it will greatly impact the capacity of the area in question.

If I reduce the depth to 1/4 of an inch at 288 cubic inches that comes out to 159 ounces. Still kinda high and I think I'll go broke trying to model this scene using conventional products. I just remember reading somewhere too where another modeler used a product at a hardware store which was essentially the same product, but almost 10x cheaper. Should have book marked it. Nope

Messages In This Thread