Wyoming valley super Mike kitbash
Danke lieber Herr.. (Thank you Bernhard.) I think I got it right, My German is some what rusty :oops: .
The quality of your work goes without saying. Worship Worship

With the drive put back together I spent some more time on the boiler, or firebox I should say. The CNJ crews liked their engines the same way they liked their women '' They gots ta have a big behind''. These Ashley steamers had a 126 1/8 inch by 108 1/8 inch firebox with a total grate area of about 95 sq. feet. With a 247 1/2 sq. feet of heating surface. This is substantially larger than a standard soft coal furnace. With that said lets put some birthing hips on this lady.

The old backhead was removed and a new one cut from brass was soldered in. I used measurements from the V. Roseman planbook in order to get the dimensions correct. A few gaps will still need to be filled with putty, but the joint is strong, so I am happy with it. A second layer of brass that I embossed with rivets was added to represent the un-lagged portions of the firebox.

I will add the lagging to the sides of the firebox after the walkways are installed. I soldered strips of brass to brace the widened front edge in place and filled the gap in with molten solder. This was filed and sanded to blend in with the rest of the model. The boiler band was also reattached with solder.

The inside of the furnace is a mess but it will not be seen once the boiler is installed.

I placed the old backhead over the new one the show the size difference. The Wootten is about a scale foot wider on each side than the standard firebox.

My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  

Messages In This Thread