Another track feeder wire question
My layout is in an unheated but well-insulated basement. I soldered all rail joiners, including those on turnouts, and have had no issues with expansion or contraction, although I have only 200'-or-so of mainline. As far as turnouts are concerned, there's especially no good reason to not solder them in place, as they're one component from which one should most wish to eliminate all extraneous movement.
While there is a bus wire for the throttles to allow walk-around operation, the picture below shows the feeders for power to the rails - the only feeders:

[Image: Somelayoutviews003.jpg]

I have installed switch-controlled jumpers for tracks which I may, for various reasons, wish to temporarily kill, as this is DC operation, but all wiring is extremely simple. Since the layout is in its own room, I can keep it clean (even during the current construction project) and never have to clean track unless it's just been ballasted.

Oh, and Welcome to Big Blue. You'll not likely find a friendlier or more helpful train site anywhere.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread