Another track feeder wire question
Late but, on the layout I just tore down to move, the only feeders were soldered to the joiners. I only soldered every other set of rail joiners, but I had joiners with feed wires on EVERY track joint, except where I used insulated joiners between power districts. Even on every turnout (Atlas) - powered joiners on all 3 legs. Never had issues with stalling, even running a small loco like a GE 44 tonner at creep speed. I did have wires attached to every frog, but never got around to hooking any of them up to actually provide power. With all those power feeds, it seemed to overcome most of the weak points in the electrical connections within the turnouts. Even after painting the rails - and I was none too careful to make sure no paint got on the pivot points for the points, I didn't want any of that shiny showing through - I still had no power problems anywhere on the layout.
In short, I see no problem with feeding via rail joiners, especially if at least some of them are soldered tot he rails. If all joints are soldered, then feeding power through the joiner is no different than soldering the wire directly to the rail web. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, but some of the contortionist-like options I've seen illustrated in the hobby press for attaching feeders, no wonder someone who's new to this has problems.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com

Messages In This Thread